The life changing benefits of growing a beard
Beards are natural, healthy, cool and masculine. They are an expression of confidence, creativity, liberty and style. They require time, care, commitment and grooming. Combine these things together and your life may change forever. Other health, social and psychological benefits of beards include:
- Protects skin from sun’s UV rays - Studies have found that beards can protect you from 90 to 95% of the sun's harmful UV rays with a UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) of up to 21.
- Reduces chances of bacterial infection - Beards may contain bacteria that can be developed into new antibiotics. Researchers found that clean-shaven men were actually more likely to harbour infection-causing bacteria resistant to antibiotics when compared to bearded men.
- Makes men feel more attractive, confident and improves personal life - Enough said
- Makes you Appear Intelligent - Galileo, Darwin, Da Vinci, Einstein. Smart dudes rock beards - mustaches at least!
- Signal authority and trust - Research suggests that those in a sales or service role, where expertise and trust are crucial to converting sales, would be well-served to grow a beard. The study examined the beard's effect on perception of expertise, trustworthiness, likelihood of sales and service satisfaction. Men with Facial hair scored higher in all categories.
- Can ward off throat disease - The American Lung Association has covered this extensively… “ If we have additional hair like a beard to filter what we breathe it adds to this protective nature. It may be a good reason to have the beard as it serves as another barrier to protect the airways and lungs...To really take advantage of any health benefits of a beard, you must practice proper hygiene and clean the beard regularly.”
- Can assist those with asthma - Something else the ALA has covered. They suggest that the beard serves as a filter for the lungs, stopping triggers from getting into the respiratory system and preventing an asthma flare-up.